Thursday, February 3, 2011

Winter Check List

Last night before I went to bed I felt this urge to read Proverbs 31.  You know, the Proverb that describes the over-acheiving woman we'd all like to be, but don't have enough energy to be!  All jokes aside, there is some great wisdom in that Proveb, and it's not about perfection, but about aligning our hearts with God's in regard to what a godly woman looks like. 
So....one verse in particular stood out to me, especially since we've been going through an ice storm here in Texas for the last 3 days.

When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. Proverbs 31:21

Wow!  I was so shocked to see that preparing your home for winter, or other events due to nature is a biblical principle.  There is wisdom in surveying  your home, and making sure you are prepared for whatever!  This takes organization, thinking ahead, and being productive!  I was not 100% ready for this storm.  I knew it was coming, but still didn't take the time, or energy to get my home prepaerd.  Shame on me.  I was being lazy.  Tell the truth, shame the devil.  So, next time I want to be prepared better. 


Yikes! Our cupboard is almost bare!


Here's my working list of things I need to begin stocking up on in order to get my home prepared:

Food staples:
Water
Plenty of canned goods (veggies, fuit, soup, chili, etc.)
Crackers
Baby food (including rice cereal)
Meat stocked up in freezer
Cereal/Oatmeal
Bread (always have at least 1 loaf of bread in freezer on stand-by)
milk
eggs
rice
Snack foods

Household/Misc.
Batteries for flashlights
Matches
Candles
Firewood
Toilet paper
Soap
Toothpaste
Medicines (tylenol, baby tylenol, cold medicines, etc)
First aid kit
Cast-iron skillet (if your electricity goes out, you can cook over fire if you get desperate...good thing we have gas stoves)

Again, this is a working list.  What did I miss?  Leave a comment & let me know your ideas!  And, let's try to all remember we will bless our families if we will take the time to get our households prepared!

3 comments:

  1. Cast iron skillet .. that IS a good one. I have 2, so I just need to get my fireplace checked so we can use it for both warmth and cooking if needed. Didn't even cross my mind.

    I would add extra blankets. Didn't know we had mostly sheets until we needed the warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blankets are a must! Don't forget to put them in your car too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love pasta, so I would definitely include pasta and a jar of sauce. Of course the Prov. 31 woman's would be homemade, but I'm just working with Ragu!

    ReplyDelete