Wednesday, February 9, 2011

On my nightstand


I love to read.  Do you?  The busyness of motherhood has kept me from reading like I want to, but I'm slowly getting back into it.  The only time I really get a chane to read is either during Dylan's nap, or at night after he's gone to bed (Thank you, Jesus for bedtime!).  This is my time to unwind from the day!  I hope you have incorporated some sort of relaxation into your day as well!

Here's what is on my nightstand:

Morning and Evening by C.H. Spurgeon: Wonderful devotional reading for the morning and the evening (hence the title).  This is a Christian classic written by an English theologian from the 19th century.  Highly recommend it!

Life in the Word by Joyce Meyer: Another devotional, but this one is organized by topic.  I like it because depending on my day or what's going on, I can look it up and almost always receive a great word!

The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian:  Need I say more?  This book was given to us at our baby shower before Dylan was born by a wonderful couple, Chawn and Julie.  They have two kids and encouraged us that the best thing we can do for our child is to commit him to the Lord in prayer!  I have a feeling this will be one I read over and over again through the years.

Wild at Heart by John Eldredge: This book is 'technically' for men, but as a mother of a boy who will grow into a man, I though I better read it!  This book describes the essence of a man from a biblical point of reference.  It reads almost poetically. I'm enjoying it so far. (Check out "Captivating" by Stasi Eldredge about the essence of a woman...LOVED it!)

Keep a Quiet Heart by Elisabeth Elliot: Just the title is convicting, right?  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this woman!  I have many of her books.  This one is a collection of essays on how to keep a quiet heart and trust God in different life circumstances.  You will enjoy Elliot's insight!

The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace: This book was given to me from one of my bridesmaides in my wedding, Virginia!  I keep it on the side of my bed as a reference!  My desire is to be an excellent wife to my husband, and this book in detail depicts God's desire for women in marriage. (Disclaimer: this book is not about being 'perfect,' but pursuing excellence as a wife with the help of God!)

I Promise by Gary Smalley: This book is actually on my husband's nightstand too!  We won it at a couples' event at our church!  We haven't gotten too far in this book, but so far I like it.  One point I liked was how your marriage should be a place of security. Good stuff, can't wait to read more.

Lastly, is my journal.  Do you journal?  I used to journal all the time, but again, motherhood kind of slowed me down.  I don't journal everyday, but I am getting back into it.  I write down my prayers, answer to prayers, celebrations, disappointments, and frustrations.  After a women's Bible study I went through, I was inspired by Priscilla Shirer to write in my journal when God speaks to me.  These are those moments when you know God has spoken directly into your life through His word, other people, etc.  This has  been such a blessing to see God speaking directly into my life! 

Not pictured is my Bible.  It usually sits on my nightstand, but I left it in the car at the time of this picture!  :)  The Word of God alone is what gives me the refreshment and encouragement I need daily.   I am always blessed by spending time in the Word.

So, what's on your nightstand?  Or your kindle, iPad, Nook, etc.!!  What are you reading?  Leave a comment and let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I need to borrow a few of the books you described! I have downloaded the Bible on my Kindle and enjoy reading God's word in this new way. I am currently also reading Stormie Omartian's "Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On" for about the third time. Each time I read this insightful book it encourages me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Keep A Quiet Heart! That book has been an encouragement to me on many days. On my nightstand right now is The Table Principle by Devi Titus - you know that's good (and challenging!). I also like to veg out sometimes before bed, so I also have the Yada Yada Prayer Group, which is a fun novel, and 2 of the Hannah Swensen murder mystery novels - they're lightweight mysteries with terrific dessert recipes included!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, Nicole! I LOVE Devi Titus' "The Table Principle!" I acutally have her "Home Experience" at the bottom of my nightstand! LOL!!! I really love reading & just need to turn the T.V. off!

    ReplyDelete